There are 2 popular methods of installing Joomla at Site5:
- Standard Joomla Installer (Default built-in installer, this page)
- Fantastico (cPanel one-click installer)
Standard Install -- Download the Joomla Install Package from Joomla.org, upload this package to your Site5 server, configure the databases, complete the Joomla install, and you're ready to go! Detailed Directions below.
Fantastico cPanel 1-click installer -- Fantastico is a 3rd party software installing tool that greatly simplifies the Joomla installation process. Read our full guide on installing Joomla using Fantastico.
If you find this install guide helpful, please return the favor by leaving a Site5 review at our site to help others in the community.
Watch the video or follow the steps below:
Before you begin, you will need:
- A Site5 account (Sign up)
- Backstage Username / Password
- DNS configured (Domain name pointed to Site5 Server)
Step 1: Download Joomla
- Download the Joomla install 'full package' The package is available here: http://Joomla.org/download Note: at the time of writing Joomla 1.7.0 is the current version. You should download the most current version.
Step 2: Login to backstage at Site5
- Log into Backstage with your username and password at https://backstage.site5.com.
Step 3: Go to File Manager
- Click 'File Manager'. Scroll down and you will find the 'Files' section located in the center of the page.
- Select 'File Manger' again on the next screen (Not Pictured).
Step 4: Use "File Manager" to upload Joomla Package
- Verify you are in the "public_html" folder (This is the top level folder for you website).
- Click Upload. In the upload window, click 'Choose File' or 'Browse'. Select the Joomla Install Package (The '.ZIP' Joomla package) that was downloaded from Joomla.org, and click 'Open'. (Not Pictured)
- Highlight uploaded Joomla Package (back in the File Manager after using the upload window).
- Click ‘Extract’ (There should not be ANY files EXCEPT the ‘cgi bin’ folder in the directory you install to)
*Optional Method of Uploading Joomla files - You can also upload the already extracted (unzipped) Joomla file via FTP. If you are more comfortable with FTP.
Step 5: Go to MySQL Databases
- Click on ‘MySQL Databases’ after scrolling down to the "Databases" section in the dashboard.
Step 6: Create and Configure a Database for Joomla.
- Create Database by entering up to 7 characters where it says ‘New Database: youruniqueid_XXXX’ (For droplinemenu.com our database is called ‘scrnstps_JOOMLA’)
- Click ‘Create Database and Add User’.
Step 7: Create a MySQL User for the Database
- Create New User and Add To Database by entering up to 7 characters where it says ‘Username: youruniqueid_XXXX’ (For droplinemenu.com our username is ‘scrnstps_JOOUSER')
- Make a strong password
- Click ‘Finish’
Step 8: Start the Joomla Install
- Visit http://YOURDOMAIN.com/installation/ (For us it is http://droplinemenu.com/installation) to start the web-installation.
- Choose the preferred language.
- Click 'Next'.
Step 9: Joomla 'Pre-Installation Check'
- Joomla Performs a pre-installation check. All areas need to say, ‘Yes’ in green If any of these settings say 'No' in red, consult Joomla.org’s help section for more information.
- "Recommended Settings" are not required to be green, but they are recommended for a reason.
- Click ‘Next’.
Step 10: Joomla 'License'
- Read and agree to Joomla's GNU Public License.
- Click ‘Next’.
Step 11: Joomla 'Database Configuration'
- MySQLi (Most common. It should work for you.)
- Host Name: localhost (Joomla defaults to this)
- Username: YOURUNIQUEID_XXXX (Ours is scrnsteps_JOOUSER)
- Password: YOURPASSWORD (Ours is very long and random)
- Database Name: YOURUNIQUEID_XXXX (Ours is scrnstps_JOOMLA) *Note - Skip over ‘Table Prefix’ and/or ‘Old Database Process’ unless you know what you're doing.
- Click ‘Next’.
Step 12: Joomla 'FTP Config (Skip)'
- Don't touch this section unless you know what to do (Refer to Joomla.org for more information).
- Click ‘Next’.
Step 13: Joomla 'Main Configuration'
- Enter the desired website name into ‘Site Name’ (Ours is Dropline Menu). This value should be human readable.
- Enter the email you plan to use with Joomla. You should have easy access to this address. It will be used for password resets and system emails.
- Enter preferred Joomla login information.
- Choose if you want Sample Data. If you are new to Joomla use the sample data. If you are familiar with Joomla then you can leave skip installing the sample data.
- Click ‘Next’
Step 14: Joomla 'Finish'
- Make sure to click ‘Remove Installation Folder’.
- Use the 'Site' button to view your new Joomla site
- Use the 'Administrator' button to access the Joomla backend to configure your new Joomla site.
Step 15: View you new Joomla website
- Visit the "Frontend" of the site to make sure it is working properly by visiting it at YOURDOMAIN.COM ours was DROPLINEMENU.COM
Step 16: Congrats! You're Done!
- Get started by visiting YOURDOMAIN.COM/ADMINISTRATOR for us it's DROPLINEMENU.COM/ADMINISTRATOR.
Congratulations! You are ready to start using Joomla to develop your website! Just have your login information handy and you are set.